- This event has passed.
June 4-6 – 36th Annual Gathering of The Cumberland Green River Bioregional Council – “CELEBRATION!” AKA Hip Fest
June 4 @ 3:00 pm - June 6 @ 12:00 pm
The Cumberland Green River Bioregional Council (CGRBC) is a coalition of over 200 city and rural homesteaders in the bio-region of two rivers in Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, and adjacent area, namely Cumberland River and Green River. Back in 1980s when the attention to natural land exploration led to the formation of a dozen or so bio-regional organizations in the USA, CGRBC was one of the largest among them and continues to be one of the few that still remain active. We gradually attract younger generation of environmentally-minded local homesteaders and leaders who are concerned about climate change and welcome anyone who would like to meet a like-minded group of people (CGRBC membership is optional).
We are excited to celebrate our 36th Annual Gathering this year with our traditional fire circle, drums, guitars, hiking in the woods, canoe/kayak safari, music, dance, and meditation. Please register at the link below, bring your friends, and spread the news about our upcoming “CELEBRATION!” AKA Hip Fest gathering during the first weekend of June each year – June 4-5-6, 2021 this year.
When: June 4-5-6, 2021. Check-in 3pm on June 4th. Check-out 12pm on June 6th. Could be one-day, two-day, or three-day participation.
Where: Group Camp 1, Montgomery Bell State Park
Cost: $5 for a day, $10 for a night (includes cost of a cabin), $20 for two nights (scholarships available). These prices are per person. Pre-registration is available by mail or online (below). Regular registration is at the site upon arrival (on the first-come first-served basis).
- We will have 47 cabins, a big dining hall/meeting space, commercial kitchen, outdoor pavilion, 2 camp fire sites, and our own dock. You can pitch your own tent or stay in your RV if you don’t want to share a rustic cabin with four bunks.
- The cabins have screens all the way around, one overhead light, and one electrical outlet; the single beds have a mattress but no bedding or pillows. BRING YOUR OWN BEDDING! Here is a 5-min. youtube video about one of the cabins at Group Camp 1 in Montgomery Bell State Park, Burns, TN (not related to CGRBC gathering).
- Bring your own kayak or canoe to paddle on Lake Woodhaven.
- The emphasis will again be on building community through shared experience and recreation, but there will also be educational workshops.
A Loose Schedule for “CELEBRATION!” AKA Hip Fest
Due to the virus we are telling people to bring their own prepared meals, though there will be some shared snacks. We are going to try to avoid using the kitchen as much as possible.
Friday, June 4
- 3pm Check-in and registration begins
- 5pm Laughter Yoga
- 6pm Dinner BYOB followed by fire circle, drums, guitars…
Saturday, June 5
- 9am The Green Circle. Share with the group what you have been up to over the past year. Probably 3 minutes per person, followed by announcements.
- 11am Plenary session – Sunrise Movement: update on struggle re climate crisis!
- 12pm Saturday lunch coinciding with Auction: bring money to spend and gifts to share (anyone know who has the sparkling vest?)
- 1pm Electric Vehicles with Doug and Eric in the dining hall parking lot
- 2pm The Magic of Findhorn with Natalia at the dining hall porch
- All afternoon: canoe/kayak safari, horse shoes, volleyball, etc.
- 6pm Supper
- 7pm Music and Dancing with Jeff Poppen & friends
Sunday, June 6
- Breakfast as needed
- 9am Group Circle followed by Meditation led by Sharon
- 10am “Bidness” Meeting, porch of the dining hall
- 12pm Check out. Clean your own cabins, help clean bathrooms and dining/kitchen rooms
PRE-REGISTRATION AND REGISTRATION
Cost: $5 for a day, $10 for a night (includes cost of a cabin), $20 for two nights (scholarships available). These prices are per person.
A. MAIL: If you want to reserve a space, please send a check to Cumberland Greens, c/o Eric Lewis, 7978 Highway 100, Nashville, TN 37221
- go to www.nashvillepeacejustice.org
- Click on SUPPORT US
- Under “Use this donation for”, click on “donation to NPJC Member Organization”
- Click on tiny pencil icon and type in Cumberland Greens.
C. ON SITE: Upon arrival on the first-come first-served basis
P.S.: If you have workshop suggestions or questions, please write to Eric: firstname.lastname@example.org
P.P.S.: We are booking the park for next year, June 3-4-5, 2022